how to block a website Google Chrome browser is undoubtedly one of the best and most used browsers across all devices and systems including Windows, Android, iOS, Mac, and many other systems.
Day in and day out, we browse hundreds of websites with Chrome.
However, if there are websites that are hindering your productivity or if there are websites that you do not want your children, students, or employees to access on the computer or device intended for them.
So we’re going to really give you quick ways by which you can block websites on Chrome browser, no matter what platform you use.
We will offer you a variety of methods, and it is sufficient for you only to specify the method of use.
how to block websites on chrome
The methods that we will be reviewing with you are very fast and anyone can apply them in the system they are using. Just select the method that is convenient for you and which you find comfortable in and apply it to block any website you want via Google Chrome browser.
The first method / by using Extensions
Want to block websites on Chrome on Android, iOS, Mac and Windows?
This is a really simple way that many Chrome extensions can help you block websites and even password protect them. One of these extensions is BlockSite.
Here’s how to block websites in Chrome browser with this premium extension.
- To begin with, go to the link below, which is the link to install the BlockSite extension, through the Google Chrome browser. Download the BLOCKSITE plugin
- Click on Add to Chrome or Add to Chrome.
- Wait for this add-on to install in your browser. Then restart Google Chrome again.
- Head to the website you want to block and then click Add BlockSite.
- Then click on the Block this site option.
You can also password protect these sites by adding a password to them by clicking Edit block list and then selecting Password Protection from the right pane.
The beauty of this add-on is that it has a special application for both Android phones as well as iPhone phones.
You can install them in your phone and use them just like the computer version.
how to block a website on android
The second method / using apps on Android and iOS devices
The world of Android apps allows you to do many great things like clean junk files, play all kinds of games, check mobile data, listen to music, and many other things.
We will add another gem to the list which is that you can now block websites on Chrome with the help of apps.
For example, you can use the Trend Micro’s Mobile Security app and block websites.
Its use also doubles as a privacy scanner, Wi-Fi checker, and many more things.
You can also use the previous application, BlockSite, to block websites in the Google Chrome browser on the phone.
how to block a website on windows 10
Method 3 / Using the Hosts File in Windows 10
The host file plays an important role in how your computer connects to the Internet, more specifically the websites your computer connects to. Here, we will talk about how to block websites not only on Chrome but also on other browsers.
Initially, we ask you to do a couple of things before trying the below-mentioned steps.
- Create a restore point. Even if something goes wrong, you can safely revert to your old settings.
- Copy and paste the host file somewhere else on the computer. So, you can restore the old file in case something goes wrong with the current host file.
Let’s go to the actual steps to block websites on Chrome or any other browser using the Host file:
- Enter your file explorer on your computer, and then copy the path below and paste it into the search location and enter it.
- Here we will focus on the host file but before doing anything you should create a backup copy of the host file. So, copy and paste the file to the place you want, for example the desktop.
- Now go back to the directory where the host file is located, and then open the file with Notepad.
- Copy the full text as is.
- In the Windows search bar, type notepad or notepad, and then click Run as administrator.
- Paste the text as it is in the new notepad that you have opened on your computer.
- Here comes the part to focus with, for every new website you want to block, add a new line with 0.0.1 <website URL>.
For example, if you want to block Xyz, then type:
Save the file to the location mentioned in point # 1 and make sure all files are selected as this file type.
how to block inappropriate websites on iphone
Method 4 / Use Screen Time feature in iOS
Do you share your iPhone with your son, daughter, or younger brother who only wants to access certain websites? Here are the steps you can take to get them to block sites:
- Open the Settings app and then click on Screen Time from the left side.
- From the right side of the app, select Content & Privacy Restrictions.
- Tap the Web Content option and select Allowed Websites only.
- Only add websites that you want the user to access. While the rest of the sites other than the ones in the list will be blocked.
Read more: how do you block someone on gmail